Perimeter and area maths.


Perimeter and area maths

This term for our maths we have been focusing on perimeter and area. First we learned the the basics. 1 metre =100 centimetres. That 10 millimetres =1 centimetre. And that 1000 millimetres =1 metre. I didn't really like this activity because I already knew that stuff so it was a bit boring for me.

Then we learned what perimeter is. The perimeter is the outside of the shape. You find the perimeter by adding all the sides together. I liked that that lesson because I got know what perimeter was and I didn't know before.

The tasks we have been doing are; finding the perimeter of objects, we found random things and measured the perimeter. For example a pencil, or our maths books. I liked that lesson because we got to explore how big stuff is and I like doing things like that.

We also learnt what the abbreviations of the units of measurement are. Centimetres are cm, millimetres are mm, kilometres are km and metres are m. I didn't like that lesson because it was to easy.

Miss Hodson then taught us which units of measurement to use in different situations. So if I was measuring the length of the classroom I would use metres not millimetres. I didn't mind that lesson because it wasn't fun but it wasn't boring.

Soon after that we were learning how to find the area of a square or a rectangle. You figure out the base and then times it by the height and then you have your area in either cm, km, mm or m square right in front of you.  I thought that was really fun because it wasn't confusing and it wasn't extra difficult.

Next we made robots by making the area a certain area, the legs a certain perimeter and the same the legs and arms.After that we got to decorate them and they are now on our wall. I liked that activity because we got to be creative and also got to do art.

 By Luke

Comments